Pastor’s Update 2 – COVID-19
In this edition:
Pastor S Matthias Esson
Pastor of Greenwich and Sydenham SDA Churches
“One Church in Two Locations“
Prepare Enrich Practitioner
An Advanced Cert in Christian Counselling
BA. MA. MBA.
Pre/Post Marital Counselling
Mobile: 07985 408 669
Now think of it – one important lesson we learn out of this COVID-19 outbreak, is the lesson of preparation. We have got to stock up just in case we are not allowed to leave our homes. The adage is still true, he who fails to prepare, is preparing to fail.
Preparation is a key feature in the Bible. I think of Amos 4:12, ‘prepare to meet thyGod, O Israel.’ Then there is Matt 25:41, there is the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels. John 14:1-3, Jesus is gone to prepare a place for you. The bible is clear, hell is being prepared for the Devil and his angels. Heaven is being prepared for you. Jesus coming back to hand out the keys to the mansions, but only to the saved.
I am not sure toilet paper and pasta will be of value either in heaven or hell. But what I do know and of which I am confident is this; all humanity, without exception, will end either in hell or in heaven. Here is my ask of you during this season of Lockdown and reflection. Take a look at the picture across and then ask yourself – in which line am I standing?
Hebrews 11:3 New International Version (NIV)
By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.
Hebrews 11:3 informs us, this world belongs to God. He framed it with his word, and He framed it out of nothing. It does not always appear that way, but God is in control. He will not abandon His people.
Though we have sinned and fallen well short of His glory, we have His promise to be with us even unto the end.
I took my troubles to the Lord; I cried out to Him, and He answered my prayer – Psalm 120:1.
Surely God is my salvation; I will trust Him and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord Himself is my strength and my defence; He has become my salvation – Isaiah 12:2.
I take time out to pay tribute to all those who have taken time outJust to check on others. I am reminded of the saying, “I don’t care how much you know until I knowhow much you care.” Thank you for caring. It is the Jesus in you working for the salvation of His people
I don’t care how much you know until I know how much you care.
Latest Steps to Fight COVID-19
The PM Boris Johnson addressed the nation last night. He said, “I must give the British people a very simple instruction, you must stay at home.”
The PM announced new measures to beat the coronavirus– He said, “From this evening, you must stay at home.”However, you may leave your home only for the following reasons:
Reasons to leave home
- Shopping for basic necessities but as infrequently as possible
- For one form of exercise per day – either alone or with members of your household
- Any medical need
- To provide care for a vulnerable person
- Travelling to and from work only if it is absolutely necessary
“These are the only reasons you should leave your home,” the PM said. The police, he also said, will have the power to enforce the rules through fines and disbursing of gatherings.
Other stipulations to be aware of in the fight to reduce the spread of the virus
- Gathering in public is limited to two, except they are family members living in the same home.
- All social events will be banned including worship services like weddings and baptisms. Funerals are allowed
- Visitation of other family members not sharing the same home is outlawed under these restrictions
- Meeting up with friends is not allowed. The PM said, “If friends ask you to meet, you should say no.”
- Closure of all non-essential businesses – including electronic and clothing stores and libraries are all part of the measures announced to tackle the coronavirus.